We are looking for a volunteer driver - please read the description below and email our Volunteer and Reception Coordinator, Jan: email@example.com or call 01273 694222 to register your interest. We look forward to hearing from you!
Role: Volunteer Driver
Directed by: Volunteer Coordinator, IPU Team Manager & Manager of Health Management Services
Main Purpose: To provide transport for clients coming to stay from outside the area from their home address and return. To, when necessary, provide transport for inpatients and outpatients to and from The Sussex Beacon for medical appointments within the Brighton and Hove area, both accompanied by a member of staff and unaccompanied. To provide transport for clients within Brighton and Hove who would otherwise be unable to access the Day Service or Women’s Service.
- To ensure that your vehicle is safe for and insured for the transportation of clients.
- To provide transportation for Sussex Beacon clients and plan your journey in advance. You will be able to claim for mileage and parking expenses.
- Be reliable and dependable when picking up a client in your vehicle at a scheduled time.
- To liaise with nursing and support staff to ensure that the client is transported in a safe and comfortable manner.
- To inform the nursing and outpatient teams if you have any concerns about clients whilst transporting them. These should include a client being unwell during a journey, difficulties with access or any problems with client’s behaviour.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding clients at all times and ensure any documentation with the patients is safely stored.
- To immediately report incidents, accidents or any other concerns to Volunteer Coordinator and or other Managers.
- Inform the Volunteer Coordinator of any change of contact details.
- To undertake relevant training provided by The Sussex Beacon including HIV Awareness.
The Vehicle: The Sussex Beacon will need to ensure that your vehicle is safe and compliant with the law. We will ask you to show us your MOT and insurance documents.
- Valid driver’s license with no penalty points.
- Current enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check (we can organise this free of charge if you do not have one).
- An understanding of the limitations experienced by some clients, such as mobility and hearing loss and vision.
- Enjoys working with others.
- Excellent face to face communication skills.
- Ability to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Able to work on own and as part of a team.
- Able to communicate tactfully but assertively .
- Honest, friendly and respectful to clients , staff and other volunteers.
- To maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Open to learning.
- Able to ask for support when needed.
To be reliable and punctual. You will be under no obligation to provide transport at any particular time but, once you have committed to the task, we will expect you to be present and available at the time agreed.
Benefits of the role:
- Gain experience and knowledge of the voluntary sector.
- Build confidence and gain experience that may assist with gaining employment.
- Become part of Team Beacon, our group of loyal supporters.
- Meet new people and make new friends.
Time Commitment: Flexible
Required: Enhanced DBS