The Halloween Horror Show launch 2016: Duncan James to Host

DSC_0018 editThe launch event for The Halloween Horror Show 2016 took place in the Grand Hotel Brighton this afternoon with many of the tables already sold for the event in October. The Halloween Horror Show, which will take place on Friday 28th October, will be raising valuable funds for The Sussex Beacon – a Brighton based charity offering specialist care and support to people living with HIV.

The theme of the event, which will also be taking place at the Grand Hotel Brighton, was revealed to guests at the launch as a ‘Spectacular Circus of Thrills’. The identity of this year’s celebrity host, who will play the role of an assistant to the ringmaster, is actor, television presenter and member of the boyband ‘Blue’, Duncan James.

Simon Dowe, CEO at The Sussex Beacon, says: “We are really excited to have Duncan taking part in this year’s event. I know that his involvement will take this event to a new level and hopefully raise even more much needed funds for The Sussex Beacon”.DSC_0006

The Halloween Horror Show 2016 will help The Sussex Beacon to raise over £2 million, which it needs to keep its vital services running. Guests of the main event will enjoy a night of entertainment whilst enjoying a three-course Grand Halloween feast followed by dancing until the early hours.

The launch party was attended by the Mayor Elect of Brighton and Hove, Pete West, Baroness Joyce Gould and Labour MP for Hove and Portslade, Peter Kyle. as well as representatives from many local businesses from the city. Guests enjoyed a sneak preview of the events’ entertainment, plus drinks and canapés kindly sponsored by the Grand Hotel, Brighton.

The charity is working with leading entertainment design agency the E3 Group to produce the fundraising Ball. The E3 Group were responsible for the production of last year’s event which raised valuable funds for the charity.

The Sussex Beacon supports the Stop HIV Cuts Campaign

The Sussex Beacon is one of the HIV organisations supporting the Stop HIV Cuts Campaign which was launched on 25th February 2016. The campaign is highlighting and opposing the funding cuts that are being levied on HIV support services.

Along with nearly 30 HIV organisations we have signed a letter that has been sent to The Secretary of State for Health the Right Honourable Jeremy Hunt MP. The letter shares the increasing concern of the trend by local authorities across England to decommission HIV support services.

Public Heath England’s Positive Voices survey found that over a third of people with HIV accessed HIV support services over a 12month period.  With over 100,000 people living with HIV in the UK, these support services are needed now more than ever.

However, 2015 has seen the start of a worrying trend of local authorities across England totally defunding HIV support services. In Oxfordshire, Bromley, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Slough, Bracknell Forest and Bexley, the local councils are set to discontinue these important services.

Simon Dowe CEO The Sussex Beacon says “We know only too well the effect that cuts to HIV services are having. Whilst I acknowledge the tough economic climate that we are living in, it is short sighted not to consider the long-term impact of these cuts on the health and wellbeing of people living with HIV and those at risk of contracting HIV. We support people to live well with HIV through our vital specialist services. Without our services many people risk becoming unwell and ending up in hospital at a greater cost to the tax payer. Local authorities must consider the impact of these cuts on individual’s lives.”

For further information about the campaign: www.stophivcuts.org